Thursday, September 26, 2024

Exit Slip #4

 Hello twins.



Really enjoyed learning a new skill and getting to work with my hands, which is something I don't do enough. My first attempt was a bit underwhelming but after Susan showed me the technique I was able to successfully tie the rope. We had an engaging discussion at the end of class about connecting with ancestors and how our students might view such an activity. Often times we are so swept up in the busyness of the present that we don't take time to reflect on the past. I agreed with a sentiment shared in class about feeling a disconnect from those who came before. So I actually took a course on knot/braid theory at UBC and one gripe I had was that we could have benefitted from more physical demos and hands-on activities. Exploring knots on a blackboard or with pencil/paper created a major disconnect and we would have benefitted from more connections to our physical reality. 


I believe that students could find a connection to an activity similar to the one today. I personally connected through the lens of fashion and textiles, as I am often interested in learning more about the way fabric and textiles are made. For example, I have frequently encountered the warp & weft technique Susan discussed when researching clothing. There is an Indian designer named Kartik Kumra who founded the brand Kartik Research in 2021. They amazingly create all of their clothing without the use of electricity. He celebrates India's rich cultural heritage by closely partnering with skilled Indian artisans to preserve traditional craftsmanship. I have included photos of some of their pieces above. The group weaving of the dress directly onto the wearer was another point of engagement. I can imagine a fashion visionary such as Alexander Mcqueen recreating a similar spectacle, as he was known for having incredibly creative runway shows. Students tend to only engage with pencil/paper and allowing them to use their hands more creatively would be beneficial. They could learn a new skill and create something of value in the process.


Thanks for reading, 

Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment