Hello twins.
The following is in response to an article on being a reflective teacher by American educators Grant & Zeichner. I found the article incredibly relevant in the modern educational landscape despite being written almost 30 years ago. It provided a treasure trove of valuable insights, with several directed toward current teacher candidates.
The first major takeaway was regarding the student teacher experience during practicum. I had not considered that I would be joining a learning environment with established learning habits and routines. This will require considering how my teaching philosophy aligns with my homeroom teacher. However, I have learned that one must not simply take these traditions in stride, but rather question the thought process underlying these choices and consider existing alternatives. Taking a more active approach to understanding the rationale behind the classroom environment can help maximize my practicum experience.
A central theme during my first week as a teacher candidate has been the balancing act teachers face between personal choice and institutional requirements. I hadn't considered the strong pressures to conform to the norms of a given school caused by the teacher's role within a bureaucratic system. I recently read another article emphasizing teacher's ongoing struggle between choice and restraint. Specifically how to foster creativity and exploration within a system dominated by standardization and exams. This ubiquitous tug-of-war between formal evaluations and creating authentic learning experiences is a challenge I will have to navigate in my teaching career.
Another standout theme in the spirit of inquiry was taking the "easy route" with students versus being a reflective instructor who does what is best for their students. As a student, I can recognize which teachers are doing the bare minimum required and which are going above and beyond for their students. I aspire to be the latter by recognizing my immense responsibility as a teacher to put my students first. There are dangers to becoming overly comfortable with routine and constantly reflecting upon my practice will allow me to continue growing my abilities as an educator. I am excited to continually look for ways to improve as a teacher by being a lifelong learner.
Thanks for reading,
Josh
No comments:
Post a Comment