Thursday, September 12, 2024

Exit Slip #2 + Article Response

Hello twins.

The following is a reflection on our drawing activity in the garden. I have also included a response to Susan's article on learning and teaching in a garden.

                                                               
                                                                       Branching Paths 

I drew the branches of a tree in the garden which immediately caught my eye. Most branches formed near 60-degree angles similar to those in an equilateral triangle. Most branches were not perfectly straight but curved and swayed in the wind. I reflected on the visual appeal of trees and how these irregularities in shape add to their beauty. Imagining a "perfect tree" where every element was perfectly straight or angled would lose the natural essence of a tree. 

From my own short time in the garden, I am convinced of its powerful effect on the learning experience.  The article discussed how gardens can bring balance to our lives by providing an opportunity to escape. Spending time experiencing nature with all your senses is a rare experience for many. The busyness of everyday life can get in the way since we are often cooped up in indoor spaces. I always look forward to my time in the garden as it gives me a break from the fluorescent lights and confines of a desk. Spending more time outdoors during a busy week has improved my mental health and well-being. For example, today's sketching activity was a mood-boosting experience. While sketching, I felt completely present and mindfully focused on the task. As someone who values incorporating mindfulness into daily life, I am grateful to have found a new way to practice.

I appreciated the article's perspective on the garden being a co-teacher in the outdoor classroom. We can all benefit from developing empathetic relationships with the earth and remembering to appreciate the gift of nature. I'm excited to explore ways to integrate nature into the traditional classroom.

If I had an outdoor garden in my school, I would love to spend some of our weekly classes outdoors. For example, we have "Woodsy Wednesdays" where we get a midweek break to learn outside. I hope to see students excited about learning in a non-traditional setting.  We could bring stationary and encourage putting away our electronic devices. The outdoor sessions could also contain a portion that focuses on well-being. Whether that be journalling, art, or just quietly observing nature.  I'd be excited to explore ways to incorporate elements from nature into the material. Some examples are exploring how math shows up in nature, math problems related to nature,  or using natural materials to solve problems. Another idea would be blending math and art together to encourage student creativity. The possibilities are endless and they could be utilized with any subject.

Some potential difficulties are dealing with volatile weather conditions, student or parent complaints, and potential safety concerns such as allergies. Classroom management could be more difficult with increased distractions and more space for students to move around. Retaining classroom essentials such as writing surfaces and seating would also need to be considered. It would require some creative thinking to ensure that the curriculum and assessment needs of students are still being met. However, I believe the pros outweigh the cons and outdoor gardens can boost the student learning experience.

Thanks for reading,

Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment