Sunday, November 3, 2024

Inquiry Project Outline

Hello twins.

For my Inquiry Project, I want to explore gamification in math education. So many students dread learning & practicing math and I will be researching how we can lower math anxiety to make students enjoy learning math. Games provide a more appealing approach to student learning which can lower the point of entry for students and increase overall engagement. An analogy that comes to mind is how parents sneak vegetables into their kids' meals by disguising them in subtle ways. With how popular video & online games are with the upcoming generation, I believe that gamifying certain aspects of the math classroom could have positive benefits for student learning and engagement. An initial seed that led me to this topic was considering how we could make the task of completing a list of textbook exercises more enjoyable. Assigning a list of textbook exercises for students to complete is common in many math classes and I want to consider how we could make this act more interesting to students. An initial idea I had was an interactive online resource where students could view/answer questions to accumulate points and unlock new features by levelling up. They can also view various analytics and quantitative data about their performance in an interactive online profile. This would have certain similarities to some of the more addicting mobile apps such as Candy Crush, which capitalize on certain qualities we all share.



Thanks for reading,
Josh


No comments:

Post a Comment